Transfer and PLAR Credits

Transfer Credits

The University recognizes the academic knowledge and achievement of students who have undertaken post-secondary studies at other colleges, institutes, or universities. Courses or programs taken at post-secondary or other recognized post-secondary institutions will be considered through block or transfer credit processes. Transfer credit must be approved by the Chief Academic Officer.

Credit may be given in one of the following ways:

  • Assigned Credit means credit given for a specific University course when a course or courses are recognized as equivalent.
  • Unassigned Credit means credit given when a course or program is considered worthy of credit at the University but is not equivalent to a specific University course.

In order to maximize the student’s ability to meet program requirements whenever possible, credit will be granted for specific courses rather than unassigned credit.

Students who seek transfer credit must provide an official transcript from each institution at which courses were taken. If an articulation agreement does not already exist for the course(s) or program, it is the student’s responsibility to provide detailed course information as needed to evaluate courses. For documents that are not in English, a translation by a certified translator is required.

The PCU-WHS official transcript will indicate the transferable courses and the number of credits for which transfer credit is granted. Credits will be calculated based on a normal 3 credits per 1 trimester course from a university, college or institute. Courses that do not conform with the 3 credit per 1 trimester system will be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Recognition by the University of studies completed at a previous institution does not imply, or in any way guarantee, that the transfer credits will be recognized by a third institution.

Students who have completed the 25 modules in the Online Return to Work Coordinator Program or the 25 modules in the Disability Management Practitioner Certificate Program within 3 years or who have current CDMP or CRTWC Certification will be granted block transfer credit for the following specific courses:

  • WHDM 105 Disability and Management & Return to Work
  • WHDM 215 Human Resources and Organizational Development
  • WHDM 309: Job Analysis, Assessment Reports, and Accommodation Technology
  • WHDM 318 Workplace Management and Communication Skills

Associate or Undergraduate Degree Pathway

Students entering the program with an associate or undergraduate degree are deemed to have met the breadth requirement for the BDM. These students are required to complete a 66 credit curriculum approved by the Curriculum Committee, the Area Leads and the Academic Council. The two-year schedule for these courses is described on the university website at:
Associate or Undergraduate Degree Pathway

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) is a process of evaluating work experience by a qualified specialist and expert in the relevant field. Prospective students who wish to apply for PLAR are asked to contact the University for information and assistance in developing a portfolio for evaluation.

PLAR methodology includes work experience, independent reading, volunteer work, or other relevant activities. It is based on documentation that provides authenticated evidence of learning and students must demonstrate learning at a level of achievement equivalent to students who have successfully completed the specific course for which credit is being requested.

PLAR is available for all specialty and elective courses and PLAR credits are only granted on the basis that applicants meet all of the learning objectives of a course. Partial credits are not granted.

Students must be admitted to the University prior to applying for any PLAR credits.

At the admission stage, an applicant should indicate the courses for which she or he intends to request credits on the basis of prior learning and experience. A separate PLAR request form will be forwarded to a successful applicant for each course for which she or he has indicated an intention to request PLAR credits. The completed form must be accompanied by a dossier of evidence supporting the request. The same evidence can be used to support a number of requests as long as it is clearly explained how it relates to the specific learning objectives of each course.

Acceptable evidence can include:

  • Professional non-credit courses for which a certificate has been awarded.
  • Professional certification or accreditation.
  • Teaching or training practice.
  • Work or professional experience.
  • Documented research.
  • Papers or reports for which the applicant can be confirmed as an author.
  • Copies of presentations made at professional or academic conferences.

Students who have completed the 25 modules in the Online Return to Work Coordinator Program previously offered by NIDMAR or the 25 modules in the Disability Management Practitioner Certificate Program within 3 years or who have current CDMP or CRTWC Certification should refer to admission under the Professional Designation Pathway in the Academic Calendar.

All other PLAR credit requests will be charged the PLAR credit fees.

A period of minimally 8 weeks is required to process a PLAR request. PLAR will be assessed by an instructor or faculty member who is an expert in the subject area.

Course Challenge

In appropriate circumstances, the University will permit a student to challenge a course by examination for students who have fulfilled study equivalent to requirements for a course at the University.

Course challenge is the prerogative of the University and must have the approval of the University instructor or faculty member and the Senior Academic Officer or designate.

  • A student is not permitted to challenge a course previously failed.
  • A student may not challenge a course more than once.
  • A course challenge is suitable for students currently registered with the University.
  • Students considering challenging a course are urged to obtain permission prior to commencement of classes.
  • The instructor or faculty member will set the examination requirement(s) to be met for successful course challenge.
  • The instructor or faculty member will set appropriate grading standards for a course challenge.
  • A course challenge is not permitted for a course for which credit has already been obtained at the University or through transfer credit.
  • The Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition Policy applies to a course challenge.
  • A student may appeal a course challenge decision to the Academic Student Appeals Committee.

For further information, please contact Student Services at: