The Bachelor of Disability Management is a degree with an applied focus. It is the first and only degree of this nature and level internationally. The Bachelor of Disability Management (BDM) provides graduates with the underpinning of knowledge, skills and competencies, on the one hand, to assist absent workers to return to work and, on the other hand, to assist employing organizations, service providers and insurers in the public, private and not for profit sectors to introduce and operate cost-effective and responsive DM and return to work programs.
The program will be of interest to working adults who seek a credential related to their current field of activity – most frequently health, human resources, occupational health and safety, insurance, union representation, or government services, and to students graduating from high school who wish to pursue a career in workplace health science. In the evolving field of disability management, the degree has been designed to give students the necessary technical skills and to empower them as leaders in reshaping the approach and systems involving workers with disabilities.
The degree is comprised of 120 credits. Applicants are admitted directly into the third year of the program having completed 60-credits in a related discipline (e.g. an associate degree, 2-year diploma or other relevant educational prerequisite providing 60 credits) from a recognized post-secondary educational institution. Preferred relevant disciplines include human resources, occupational health and safety, healthcare, business and social work.
The content and structure of the BDM has been designed and developed to ensure that successful graduates have the underpinning knowledge and skills, which are congruent with the International Disability Management Standards Council (IDMSC) Occupational Standards. This places BDM graduates in a favorable position, once they have fulfilled the work practice requirements, to embark on the certification process for the Certified Disability Management Professional (CDMP) or Certified Return to Work Coordinator (CRTWC).
Commencing in September 2021, PCU-WHS is offering the BDM as a Full-Time Program and also as a Part Time Program. The details for each Program are provided below.
Full-time BDM Program
- Completion of the BDM Program in 2 years
- Completion of a minimum of ten (10) 3-credit courses per year
- Example 1: 4 courses in the Fall trimester, 3 courses in the Winter trimester, 3 courses in the Spring trimester.
- Example 2: 5 courses in the Fall trimester, 5 courses in the Winter trimester
- The courses for the Full-Time Program are 12-week courses, with an anticipated time commitment of 8 hours per week per course, including approximately 4 hours on the required readings and 4 hours on either a discussion exercise or assignment.
Part-time BDM Program
- Completion of the BDM Program in 4 years
- Completion of a minimum of five (5) 3-credit courses per year
- The courses for the Part-Time Program are distributed throughout each academic year, 5 per year consecutively (one course at a time), with 2 or more weeks between courses.
- The courses for the Part-Time Program are 6-week courses, with an anticipated time commitment of 16 hours per week per course, including approximately 8 hours on the required readings and 8 hours on either a discussion exercise or assignment.
Only students enrolled in the Full-Time Program are eligible to take the 12-week BDM courses.
Only students enrolled in the Part-Time Program are eligible to take the 6-week BDM courses.
|Completion of program||2 years||4 years|
|Number of courses per year||10||5|
|Duration of each course||12 weeks||6 weeks|
|Time commitment per week per course||8 hours||16 hours|
To access an application form please click here.
Information regarding the University’s flexible admissions process for students who do not meet the standard admission criteria can be found on the Admissions page
Full details of the program are available in the Academic Calendar.
If you have a specific inquiry, please email: email@example.com