Disability management and return to work practitioners utilize an empathetic approach to help people in vulnerable situations.
They work collaboratively with management, unions or employee organizations, insurance providers, government agencies, health care providers and others to assist a worker who has incurred a mental or physical health injury or illness and are at risk of losing their employment.
Because disability management is a complex field, successful practitioners will have combined skills and knowledge in the
• Disability management theory and practice
• Legislation and benefit programs
• Labour-management relations
• Communication and problem-solving skills
• Disability case management
• Return-to-work coordination
• Health, psychosocial, prevention and functional aspects of disability
• Program management and evaluation activities
• Ethical and professional conduct
For more information on Disability Management & Return to work visit: National Institute of Disability Management and Research
For more information on education in Disability Management & Return to work visit: Programs